Sunday, January 15, 2006

Attempting Sabbath

So yesterday Nathan and I made our first halting attempt at Sabbath. From leaving work Friday night (which for me was a bit late!) to dinnertime Saturday we tried to rest. Hmm, it almost worked. I enjoyed not doing dishes. I enjoyed reading The Ignatian Workout and Awakening to Prayer. I enjoyed taking a break from the constant music which normally fills our little home. Did I really manage to not work? Almost! Nathan and I ended up cleaning out our closet of the clothes we don't wear, don't need, and don't fit. The pile on the bed at the end was a bit disturbing. And there were still plenty of clothes in the closet! It was definitely work, but it felt more like a spiritual exercise than physical work. I kept remembering that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Future Sabbath attempts will definitely continue to define work: how do we rest without becoming legalistic? Is it work if I work up a sweat but it's lots of fun? Can I read my project management book? All questions to come, to wrestle with, to enjoy.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 AM , Blogger Krista said...

Every time I clean and purge something that has been sitting in my closet for a long time I feel really good. Like every time I move, knowing that I am throwing away things that are no longer needed...kinda feel like a clean start.

I think you can totally parallel that with our spiritual walk as well. Knowing there are times to confess to God or others our mistakes. The best part is knowing that the slate is clean...for a while. Because sooner or later the sins add up and the closet is full yet again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home