Wednesday, February 04, 2009

String Ensemble

So, one of the things I'm doing to keep centered is playing violin. Since I'm not really wired for improv, I've not had much opportunity to play in church. Occassionally, I get my Irish fiddle book out and start learning that jig, but I inevitably lose momentum and my instrument again collects dust.

Since at one time I was a halfway decent violinist, I figured I can step into most any orchestra and play 2nd violin without too much practice. SAU has a little string ensemble that I played in before I started in the MSFL, so I decided to start there. Last night was the first rehearsal.

Wow. I haven't played classical in a group in several years. And it's been several months since I played my violin at all. I pulled out my instrument and EVERY string was slack, and literally tuned EVERY TIME WE STOPPED. I was horribly short of rosin. My bow hand had a distracting ache in one of the primary working ligaments and my fingering hand was all...um, thumbs! To top it off, I was placed with a 2nd who probably hasn't played violin for more than 2 years, and the music was well beyond her ability level.

Yet, with all those cards stacked against me I still had a good time. I hit more notes than I missed (barely). I remembered what a beautiful instrument I have. I heard great words that I never hear in my every day life like: legato and spiccato and accelerando! I played Mozart and Williams and Tchaikovsky and Copland. And I get to go back and do it all over again next week - with a little scale work and fine tuning and spiccato in between.

Bravissimo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home